Top 10 Charities in Canada
Donating to charity
is a wonderful way to show support for those who need it. But it’s not always an easy choice of which charity to donate to.
Many charities in Canada are doing innovative and path-breaking work. These forward-thinking organizations inspire people to take action, to think in new ways and to make the world a better place.
Each year, Tides Canada selects ten social change organizations that are making huge inroads in building a more just and sustainable world. These groups work diligently and achieve remarkable results. Whether local or national in their reach, each offers innovative solutions that can be replicated in Canada and abroad.
Here is a list of the Top 10 Charities selected by Tides Canada for 2009:
- Local Food Plus - Leaders in sustainable food certification and local supply chain infrastructure
- Pembina Institute - A leader in sustainable energy solutions
- Framework Foundation - Increasing volunteerism and civic engagement in communities across Canada
- Living Oceans Society - Healthy oceans, healthy communities
- Canadian Youth Climate Coalition - Youth for real climate action
- Capacity Waterloo Region - Deepening the capacity for social innovation in the Waterloo Region
- St. Clare’s Multifaith Housing - Innovative affordable housing solutions
- Tusaqtuut Core Indigenous Knowledge Project - Furthering an understanding of Inuit culture and the impact of climate change in the Arctic
- Faith and the Common Good - Seeking common ground for the common good
- UBC Farm - A thriving centre for sustainable food systems
There are many charities working within Canada and outside Canada. The larger ones are well known and often receive corporate support. There may be other smaller ones in your area that are fighting hard to make a difference in the community. Sometimes a smaller charity will benefit from your support more than a large one.
Smaller charities offer that personal touch and are likely to have better financial accountability. Mustard Seed Canada
is one of Canada’s best kept secrets -- a lesser known charity that does life changing work in Indonesia. Their work includes building schools, providing scholarships and organising teacher training programs to help education in Indonesia.
Return to Our Work: Education in Indonesia